The Atlantic Journalism Awards (AJAs) have announced the finalists for the May 8 gala in Halifax. Nominations span 30 categories in news, print and radio and online.
AJAs’ Lifetime Achievement Award went to Ron Ennis. The AJA says:
“Ron Ennis’ career spans 42 years of dedication to community journalism in Atlantic Canada. He moved from proof-reader to reporter to editor and managing editor of a portfolio of 17 community newspapers in Newfoundland with weekly circulation exceeding 100,000.”
The gala event will take place at the Halifax Marriott Harbourfront Hotel on Saturday evening, May 8, 2010. The organization is also hosting a full day of professional development workshops.
Some of the nominations include:
Spot News – Print
– Tera Camus – The Chronicle Herald, (Cape Breton Bureau) – Chaos Erupts into Full Attack
– The Canadian Press (Atlantic Bureau) – Halifax, NS – Chopper Crash
– Beverley Ware – The Chronicle Herald (South Shore Bureau) – Mommy Don’t
Spot News – Radio
– CBC Radio – Halifax, NS – Spryfield Fire
– CBC News – Newfoundland and Labrador – Cougar Helicopter Crash
– VOCM News – Newcap Radio Inc. – St. John’s, NL – Cougar Helicopter
Spot News – Television
– CBC Television Newsroom, Halifax, NS – Ferguson’s Cove Fire
– CBC News, Newfoundland and Labrador – Cougar Helicopter Crash
– Peter Cowan – CBC News, Newfoundland and Labrador – Endangered Hunt
A full list of the nominations can be found on AJAs’ website.