Stephanie Cram and Trevor Jang were the recipients of the 2016 CJF Indigenous Journalism Fellowships. Watch the video of the acceptance speeches.
Encouraging Indigenous voices and issues in the media
The CJF-CBC Indigenous Journalism Fellowships are offered to two Indigenous journalists with one to ten years of experience. The award aims to foster better comprehension of Indigenous issues in Canada's major media and community outlets.
Successful applicants will:
• Spend one month (June, September or October, 2017) with CBC News at its Indigenous centre in Winnipeg (www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous).
• Have a training stipend of $3,000, all associated travel and accommodation, a per diem for meals and other reasonable expenses, provided by The Canadian Journalism Foundation.
• Be recognized at the CJF Awards on June 8, 2017 in Toronto.
• Write or produce an article/piece or series upon completion of their fellowship opportunity, which will be considered for publication or broadcast by CBC News.
Applications will be welcomed from Indigenous journalists who, for one to ten years, have been employed by, are under contract to, or are freelancing on the news and editorial side of regularly published newspapers and periodicals, television, radio, or online sites.
How to Apply
- Submit a detailed proposal of no more than two pages outlining how you would like to use this opportunity to expand knowledge of a key Indigenous issue.
- Provide links to two examples of your work.
- Include your resume.
- Include at least one letter of recommendation from a relevant employer.
The recipient will be selected by a jury. All arrangements for the award assignment will be made in consultation with award winners.
DEADLINE EXTENDED: Mar. 3, 2017
For information, contact:
The Canadian Journalism Foundation
Photo: CNW/Shan Qiao for The Canadian Journalism Foundation
Click the links to read about each fellowship experience.
Wawmeesh G. Hamilton
The fellows will receive a training stipend of $3,000. All associated travel and accommodation, a per diem for meals and other reasonable expenses will also be provided by the CJF.
THE CJF THANKS THE FOLLOWING FOR THEIR GENEROUS SUPPORT OF THIS AWARD:
CJF Honorary Governor
Former chair and CEO, TVO